I increased maxFieldLength and reindexed a small number of documents.
That worked -- I got the correct results. In 3 minutes!

I assume that if I reindex all my documents that all searches will
become even slower. Is there any way to get all the results in a way
that is quick enough that my user won't get bored waiting? Is there
some optimization of this coming in solr 3.0?