You're on the right track. In a system where the indexing process and
search process are on the same machine, commits by the index
process cause a new searcher to opened.

In a master/slave situation (assuming you are indexing on the
master and searching on the slave), then the searchers are
reopened on the slaves after a replication. Replications happen
after 1> a commit happens on the master and 2> the slave
polls the master and pulls down the new commits.

Hope that helps
Erick