This is exactly what should be happening, as the dismax parser doesn't
understand regular query syntax (and for good reason too). This tripped me
up as well when I first started using dismax.

Solution for me was to comfigure the handler to use *:* when the query is
empty, so that you can still get back a full result set if you need it, say
for faceting.

HTH

Mark