My understanding is that the Master has done all the indexing, that
replication is a series of file copies to a temp directory, then a move and
commit. The slave only gets hit with the effects of a commit, so whatever
warming queries are in place, and the caches get reset. Doing too many
commits too often is a problem in any situation with Solr and I wouldn't
recommend it here. However, the original question implied commits would
occur approximately once an hour, that is easily within the capabilities of
the system. Fine tuning of warming queries should minimize any performance
impact. Any effects should also be a relatively linear constant, they should
not be wildly affected by the size of the update or the number of documents.
Warming query results may be slightly different with new documents, but on
the other hand, your new documents are now in cache ready for fast search,
so a reasonable trade off.