Just checking, but have you tried setting
hl.fragsize=<very large number> as suggested here:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HighlightingParameters#hl.fragsize ?

If that's not the problem, please show us the results of
attaching &debugQuery=on to the request, that may shed
some light on the problem.

Best
Erick