Hi Zac.

The syntax in your example is odd, I didn't know you could do that. Except it
doesn't quite work as you show. You could file a bug. As an alternative that
might suffice, use the point-radius arguments in which Solr will take the
minimum-bounding-box for.  See {!bbox}
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialSearch#bbox_-_Bounding-box_filter

You can expect to see great improvements in geospatial for 4.0.

~ David