On May 31, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:

> Can you explain the use-case a bit more here? Especially the post-query
> processing and how you expect the multiple documents to help here.

we have a collection of related stories. when a user searches for something, we
might not want to display the story that is most-relevant (according to SOLR),
but according to other home-grown rules.  by combing all the possibilities in
one SolrDocument, we can avoid a DB-hit to get related stories.

> But TF/IDF is calculated over all the values in the field. There's really no
> difference between a multi-valued field and storing all the data in a
> single field
> as far as relevance calculations are concerned.

so.. it will suck regardless.. I thought we had per-field relevance in the
current trunk. :-(