Are there any plans to support a kind of federated search
in a future solr version?

I think there are reasons to use seperate indexes for each document type
but do combined searches on these indexes
(for example if you need separate TFs for each document type).

I am aware of http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch
and a workaround to do federated search with sharding
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2139030/search-multiple-solr-cores-and-return-one-result-set
but this seems to be too much network- and maintenance overhead.

Perhaps it is worth a try to use an IndexReaderFactory which
returns a lucene MultiReader!?
Is the IndexReaderFactory still Experimental?

Regards,

Kai Gülzau