Hi,

I found solr-ruby gem (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/solr-ruby) really
inflexible in terms of specifying handler. The Solr::Request::Select class
defines handler as "select" and all other classes inherit from this class.
And since the methods in Solr::Connection use one of the classes from
Solr::Request, I don't see a direct way to use a custom handler (which I
have made for MoreLikeThis). Currently, the approach I am using is to create
the query URL, do a CURL, parse the response and return it.

Even if I'd to extend the classes, I'd end up making a new
Solr::Request::CustomSelect which will be similar to Solr::Request::Select
except for the flexibility for the user to provide handler, defaulted by
'select'. Then creating different classes each for DisMax and all, which
will be derived from Solr::Request::CustomSelect. Isn't this too much of an
overhead? Or am I missing something?

Also, where can I file bugs to solr-ruby?

*Pranav Prakash*

"temet nosce"

Twitter <http://twitter.com/pranavprakash> | Blog <http://blog.myblive.com> |
Google <http://www.google.com/profiles/pranny>