Let me provide some more details to the question:

I was unable to find any example implementations where individual documents
(single document per message) are read from a message queue (like ActiveMQ
or RabbitMQ) and then added to Solr via SolrJ, a HTTP POST or another
method. Does anyone know of any available examples for this type of import?

If no examples exist, what would be a recommended commit strategy for
performance? My best guess for this would be to have a queue per core and
commit once the queue is empty.

Thanks.