Hi,

2011/7/25 Gabriel Farrell <gsf...@gmail.com>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Stefan Matheis
> <matheis.ste...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Remy,
> >
> > so you may open an Issue for this on the github Project? i mean .. just
> > creating another client, because i have one problem, does not sound like
> > good plan?
>
> Agreed, and thanks for calling my attention to this thread, Stefan.

Yes I'm agree too, I'm not used to, pull, submit issue it's new for me :). I
will publish an issue.

> > Regards
> > Stefan
> >
> > Am 25.07.2011 10:56, schrieb Remy Loubradou:
> >>
> >> Hey Stephan,
> >>
> >> Thanks, but I already used this solr client and I got an error when I
> add
> >> too much documents "FATAL ERROR: JS Allocation failed - process out of
> >> memory".
> >> I didn't find the source of the problem in the solr client. So I decided
> >> write my own without this error hopefully and also I'm using JSON
> >> documents
> >> and not XML documents. I read a post saying that I can get better
> >> performance using JSON documents.
> >>
> >> I will release this client as an npm module.
>
> How many documents are you attempting to add at once when you get that
> error? Would it possible to chunk them into smaller groups?

I add a document and commit after. But it's a very XML document ~130MB and
that's happening only with big XML file.
I got this error FATAL ERROR: JS Allocation failed - process out of memory .

> I'm happy to work with you on enhancing node-solr to meet your needs.
> The only reason updates are via XML rather than JSON is that 3.1 was
> new or not yet released (don't quite remember which) when I first
> wrote node-solr. Even now I imagine many people may still be using a
> version of Solr that doesn't handle JSON updates. Maybe a flag
> parameter could be added to the Client object to switch from XML to
> JSON?

Yes, this could be a good solution. So we can try to merge your solr-client
with my client.
Before to release my client I want to have full test coverage with vows
(have some fun :) )

> The node-solr client has fairly complete test coverage, a history of
> commits from the Node community, and  versions aligning with several
> versions of Node. I would appreciate your contributions, either via
> issues or pull requests.

Cool. I will be pleased to do that!

> >> Regards,
> >> Remy

> https://github.com/gsf/node-**

> JSON,
> you

> this

> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/UpdateJSON>,on

> with

> I can't resist addressing this side conversation.
>
> While I understand the desire for a straightforward mapping between
> the XML and JSON update formats, I think the use of duplicate keys is
> a bad idea. As noted in the spec
> (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt), "The names within an object
> SHOULD be unique." I'm not sure the reasons here justify ignoring that
> recommendation.
>
> The fact that you need to keep reminding people that duplicate names
> are legal is a sign that it's more trouble than it's worth. Also, most
> JSON parsers just punt on duplicate names (see the third paragraph in
> "A word about design" at
>
> http://planet.plt-scheme.org/package-source/dherman/json.plt/3/0/planet-docs/json/index.html
> for one take on the situation). I really don't want to write a new
> JavaScript JSON parser just for node-solr.

Totally agree,

Regards,
Remy