On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Peter Wolanin <peter.wola...@acquia.com> wrote:
> Looking at the example schema:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene_solr_3_3/solr/example/solr/conf/schema.xml
>
> the solr.PointType field type uses double (is this just an example
> field, or used for geo search?)

While you could possibly use PointType for geo search, it doesn't have
good support for it (it's more of a general n-dimension point)
The LatLonType has all the geo support currently.

>, while the solr.LatLonType field uses
> tdouble and it's unclear how the geohash is translated into lat/lon
> values or if the geohash itself might typically be used as a copyfield
> and use just for matching a query on a geohash?

There's no geohash used in LatLonType
It is indexed as a lat and lon under the covers (using the suffix "_d")

> Is there an advantage in terms of speed to using Trie fields for
> solr.LatLonType?

Currently only for explicit range queries... like point:[10,10 TO 20,20]

>  I would assume so, e.g. for bbox operations.

It's a bit of an implementation detail, but bbox doesn't currently use
range queries.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com