Concerning the downtime, we found a solution that works well for us. We
allready implemented an update mechanism so that when authors are changing
some content in the cms, the index regarding this piece of content gets
updated (delete than index again) as well.

All we had to do is:
1. Change the schema.xml to support the PhoneticFilter in certain fieldtypes
2. Write a script that finds all individual content items
3. Starting the update mechanism for each piece of content item on after
another.

So the index slowly emerges from the old to the new phonetic state without
any noticeable downtime for users using the search function. Its just that
they get kind of mixed results for the time of the transition. Sure it needs
some time, but we can have cms users working with content all the time. If
they create or update content during the transition it will be indexed,
reindexed followinf the new schema.xml anyway.

If we need to rollback we just replace the schema.xml with the old version
and start the update process again.

So far this is working, thanks for your support!