: A quick question - is it possible to have 2 cores in Solr on two different
: machines?

your question is a little vague ... like asking "is it possible to have to
have two betamax VCRs in two different rooms of my house" ... sure, if you
want ... but why are you asking the question?  are you expecting those
VCRs to be doing something special that makes you wonder if that special
thing will work when there are two of them?

https://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
XY Problem

Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

-Hoss