Well, it depends (tm).

If you're talking about *indexed* terms, then the value is stored only
once in both the cases you mentioned below. There's really very little
difference between a non-multi-valued field and a multi-valued field
in terms of how it's stored in the searchable portion of the index,
except for some position information.

So, having an XML doc with a single-valued field

<field name="category">computers laptops</field>

is almost identical (except for position info as positionIncrementGap) as a

<field name="category">computers</field>
<field name="category">laptops</field>

multiValued refers to the *input*, not whether more than one word is
allowed in that field.

Now, about *stored* fields. If you store the data, verbatim copies are
kept in the
storage-specific files in each segment, and the values will be on disk for
each document.

But you probably don't care much because this data is only referenced when you
assemble a document for return to the client, it's irrelevant for searching.

Best
Erick