On 13.08.2011 18:03 Erick Erickson wrote:

> The problem I've always had is that I don't quite know what
> "sorting on multivalued fields" means. If your field had tokens
> aaaaa and zzzzz, would sorting on that field put the doc
> at the beginning or end of the list? Sure, you can define
> rules (first token, last token, average of all tokens (whatever
> that means)), but each solution would be wrong sometime,
> somewhere, and/or completely useless.

Of course it would need rules but I think it wouldn't be too hard to
find rules that are at least far better than the current situation.

My wish would include an option that decides if the field can be used
just once or every value on its own. If the option is set to FALSE, only
the first value would be used, if it is TRUE, every value of the field
would get its place in the result list.

so, if we have e.g.
record1: ccc and bbb
record2: aaa and zzz
it would be either
record2 (aaa)
record1 (ccc)
or
record2 (aaa)
record1 (bbb)
record1 (ccc)
record2 (zzz)

I find these two outcomes most plausible so I would allow them if
technical possible but whatever rule looks more plausible to the
experts: some solution is better than no solution.

-Michael