Besides the full integration into solr for this, would you recommend any
third party solr plugins such as "
http://www.jteam.nl/products/spatialsolrplugin.html";, or others?

I can understand that spacial features can get complex and there could be
many use cases, but this seems like a "basic" feature that you would use
with a standard set of spacial features like what is in solr4 now.

Thanks,
Mike