> changed the configuration to point it to my solr dir and started it again

You might look in your logs to see where Solr thinks the Solr home directory is
and/or if it complains about not being able to find it.  As a guess, it can't
find it, perhaps because solr.solr.home does not point to the right place.  As
a result, the servlet can't actually find the Solr code, and isn't really
indexing anything at all.

For my tomcat install test, I put the following in startup.bat  (Windows, but
the Linux startup script startup.sh would be similar).

set "JAVA_OPTS=-Dsolr.solr.home=C:/pro/apache-solr-3.3.0/example/solr"

(my JAVA_OPTS has a bunch of other stuff for security, waffle, etc., but this
is the one that would matter in your case).

JRJ