Hi;

we have a similar problem here. We already raised the file ulimit on the
server to 4096, but this only defered the problem. We get a
TooManyOpenFilesException every few months.

The problem has nothing to do with real files. When we had the last
TooManyOpenFilesException, we investigated with netstat -a and saw that
there were about 3900 open sockets in Jetty.

Curiously, we only have one SolrServer instance per Solr client, and we
only have three clients (our running web servers).

We have set defaultMaxConnectionsPerHost to 20 and maxTotalConnections
to 100. There should be room enough.

Sorry that I can't help you, we still have not solved tghe problem on
our own.

Greetings,
Kuli