: I see that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-653 removed this
: support from SolrJ, because it was deemed too dangerous for mere
: mortals.

I believe the concern was that the "novice level" API was very in your
face about asking if you wanted to "overwrite" and made it too easy to
hurt yourself.

It should still be fairly trivial to specify overwrite=false in a SolrJ
request -- just not using hte convenience methods.  something like...

        UpdateRequest req = new UpdateRequest();
        req.add(myBigCollectionOfDocuments);
        req.setParam(UpdateParams.OVERWRITE, true);
        req.process(mySolrServer);

: For Hadoop-based workflows, it's straightforward to ensure that the
: unique key field is really unique, thus if the performance gain is
: significant, I might look into figuring out some way (with a trigger
: lock) of re-enabling this support in SolrJ.

it's not just an issue of knowing that the key is unique -- it's an issue
of being certain that your index does not contain any documents with the
same key as a document you are about to add.  If you are generating a
completley new solr index from data that you are certain is unique -- then
you will probably see some perf gains.  but if you are adding to an
existing index, i would avoid it.

-Hoss