Hi all,

I saw one issue is ram usage keep increase when we run query.
After look in the code, looks like Lucene use MMapDirectory to map index file
to ram.

According to
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_1_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/store/MMapDirectory.html
 comments, it will use lot of memory.
NOTE: memory mapping uses up a portion of the virtual memory address space in
your process equal to the size of the file being mapped. Before using this
class, be sure your have plenty of virtual address space, e.g. by using a 64
bit JRE, or a 32 bit JRE with indexes that are guaranteed to fit within the
address space.

So, my understanding is solr request physical RAM >= index file size, is it
right?

Yongtao

"This communication may contain confidential and privileged
material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
unauthorized review, use or distribution by others is strictly
prohibited. If you have received the message in error, please
advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank
you."