I have a SOLR instance running as a proxy (no data of its own), it just uses
multicore setup where each core has a shards parameter in the search handler.

So my setup looks like this:

solr_proxy/
        multicore/
                /public - solrconfig.xml has "shards" pointing to some other
SOLR instances with public data
                /private - solrconfig.xml has "shards" pointing to some other
SOLR instances with private data

I get the following error during a search if I specify shards parameter in my
request.

I have one core as the default, and then one returns data ok:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=obama&rows=50

But if I specify as a shard I get this error:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=obama&rows=50&shards=localhost:8983/solr/public

HTTP ERROR 500
Problem accessing /solr/select/. Reason:
    null  java.lang.NullPointerException

null  java.lang.NullPointerException

request: http://localhost:8983/solr/public/select

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: null  java.lang.NullPointerException

null  java.lang.NullPointerException

request: http://localhost:8983/solr/public/select
        at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request(CommonsHttpSolrServer.java:432)
        at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.impl.CommonsHttpSolrServer.request(CommonsHttpSolrServer.java:246)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpCommComponent$1.call(SearchHandler.java:421)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.HttpCommComponent$1.call(SearchHandler.java:393)
        at
java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
        at
        at
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)