Yeah, the only code path I can see this happening on is:

newSearcher.getIndexReader().getSequentialSubReaders().length == 1

So if you keep issuing commits on an optimized index, it will open a new
Searcher and keep rebuilding the index.

Really, this should probably *only* trigger on an optimize call - not on every
commit against a single segment index.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com