I'm getting different results running these queries:

http://localhost:8080/solr/select?&q=*:*&fq=source:wiki&fq=tag:car&sort=score+desc,dateSubmitted+asc&fl=title,score,dateSubmitted&rows=100

http://localhost:8080/solr/select?fq=source:wiki&q=tag:car&sort=score+desc,dateSubmitted+desc&fl=title,score,dateSubmitted&rows=100

They return the same amount of results (and I'm assuming the same
ones) -- but the first one (with q=*:*) has a score of 1 for all
results, making it only sort by dateSubmitted.  The second one has
scores, and it properly sorts them.

I was thinking that the two would be equivalent and give the same
results in the same order, but I'm guessing that there is something
happening behind the scenes in Solr (Lucene?) that makes the *:* give
me a score of 1.0 for everything.  I tried to find some documentation
to figure out if this is the case, but I'm not having much luck for
that.

I have a JSP file that will take in parameters, do some work on them
to make them appropriate for Solr, then pass the query it builds to
Solr.  Should I just put more brains in that to avoid using a *:*
(we're trying to verify results and we ran into this oddity).

This is for Solr 3.4, running Tomcat 5.5.25 on Java 1.5.

Thanks!  Let me know if Ineed to clarify anything...

-- Chris