I don't believe that's the case, have you tried it? From the page
I referenced:

"The stats component returns simple statistics for indexed
numeric fields within the DocSet."

And running a very quick test on the example data, I get different
results when I used *:* and name:maxtor.

That said, I'm not all that familiar with the stats component so I
could well be wrong.

Best
Erick