There's the tricky line:
"If the file exists in the /conf/ directory it will be loaded once at
start-up. If it exists in the data directory, it will be reloaded for
each IndexReader."

on the page: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/QueryElevationComponent

Which basically means that if your config file is in the right directory,
it'll be reloaded whenever the index changes, i.e. when a replication
happens in a master/slave setup or when a commit happens on
a single machine used for both indexing  and searching.

Best
Erick