Experience has shown that it is much faster to run Solr with a small
amount of memory and let the rest of the ram be used by the operating
system "disk cache". That is, the OS is very good at keeping the right
disk blocks in memory, much better than Solr.

How much RAM is in the server and how much RAM does the JVM get? How
big are the documents, and how large is the term index for your
searches? How many documents do you get with each search? And, do you
use filter queries- these are very powerful at limiting searches.

--
Lance Norskog
goks...@gmail.com