Yonik Seeley-2-2 wrote

> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM, vybe3142 <vybe3142@> wrote:
>>
>>> Updating a single field is not possible in solr.  The whole record has
>>> be rewritten.
>>
>> Unfortunate. Lucene allows it.
>
> I think you're mistaken - the same limitations apply to Lucene.
>
> -Yonik
> lucenerevolution.com - Lucene/Solr Open Source Search Conference.
> Boston May 7-10

You're correct (and I stand corrected).

I looked at our older codebase that used lucene. I need to dig deeper to
understand how come it doesn't crash when invoking addField() multiple times
on each portion of the large text data whereas SOLR does. Speaking to the
developer who wrote that code, we resorted to multiple addField()
invocations to address the heap space issue.

I'll post back