From: Tirthankar Chatterjee [mailto:tchatter...@commvault.com]
Sent: 12 April 2012 13:14
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr 3.5 takes very long to commit gradually

Hi Rohit,
What would be the average size of your documents and also can you please
share your idea of having 2 cores in the master. I just wanted to know the
reasoning behind the design.

Thanks in advance

Tirthankar
On Apr 12, 2012, at 3:19 AM, Jan Høydahl wrote:

> What operating system?
> Are you using spellchecker with buildOnCommit?
> Anything special in your Update Chain?
>
> --
> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect Cominvent AS -
> www.cominvent.com Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com
>
> On 12. apr. 2012, at 06:45, Rohit wrote:
>
>> We recently migrated from solr3.1 to solr3.5, we have one master and
>> one slave configured. The master has two cores,
>>
>> 1) Core1 - 44555972 documents
>>
>> 2) Core2 - 29419244 documents
>>
>> We commit every 5000 documents, but lately the commit time gradually
>> increase and solr is taking as very long 15 minutes plus in some
>> cases. What could have caused this, I have checked the logs and the
>> only warning i can see is,
>>
>> "WARNING: Use of deprecated update request parameter update.processor
>> detected. Please use the new parameter update.chain instead, as
>> support for update.processor will be removed in a later version."
>>
>> Memory details:
>>
>> export JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms6g -Xmx36g -XX:MaxPermSize=5g"
>>
>> Solr Config:
>>
>> <useCompoundFile>false</useCompoundFile>
>>
>> <mergeFactor>10</mergeFactor>
>>
>> <ramBufferSizeMB>32</ramBufferSizeMB>
>>
>> <!-- <maxBufferedDocs>1000</maxBufferedDocs> -->
>>
>> <maxFieldLength>10000</maxFieldLength>
>>
>> <writeLockTimeout>1000</writeLockTimeout>
>>
>> <commitLockTimeout>10000</commitLockTimeout>
>>
>> Also noticed, that top command show almost 350GB of Virtual memory usage.
>>
>> What could be causing this, as everything was running fine a few days
back?

>> Regards,
>>
>> Rohit
>>
>> Mobile: +91-9901768202
>>
>> About Me:  <http://about.me/rohitg> http://about.me/rohitg

"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or
distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the
message in error, please advise the sender by reply email and delete the
message. Thank you."