Hi

I might be wrong but it's your responsibility to put unique doc IDs across
shards.

read this page
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch#Distributed_Searching_Limitations

particualry

   - Documents must have a unique key and the unique key must be stored
   (stored="true" in schema.xml)
   -

   *The unique key field must be unique across all shards.* If docs with
   duplicate unique keys are encountered, Solr will make an attempt to return
   valid results, but the behavior may be non-deterministic.

So solr bahaves as it should :) _unexpectidly_

But I agree in that sence that there must be no error especially such as
NPE.

Best Regards
Alexander Aristov