Why do you care? Merging is generally a background process, or are
you doing heavy indexing? In a master/slave setup,
it's usually not really relevant except that (with 3.x), massive merges
may temporarily stop indexing. Is that the problem?

Look at the merge policys, there are configurations that make
this less painful.

In trunk, DocumentWriterPerThread makes merges happen in the
background, which helps the long-pause-while-indexing problem.

Best
Erick