Thanks for your reply.

I think the number could eventually get very large (~1B) as our
customer-base grows, since each customer could possibly have a preference
for each candy, but currently we're looking at around 50M.

I've looked at the Solr-2272 patch for joins, which looks as though it might
fit the bill, but don't want to ignore an underlying scalability issue if my
schema organization doesn't make sense.

Also, it has recently been brought to my attention that it might be
problematic if preferences are updated frequently, which they will be
('candy' records will not be). If it helps things at all, I never have to do
any *direct* searches (just indirect/join-type referencing) on the
preference data.

Does it make more sense to try to index preference data in a separate core
and use another (non-nested) query to obtain them?

I had thought of trying a nested query with the query Function Query, but I
need the 'candy' id from the initial query, which amounts to join-like
behavior.

Thanks again for your guidance,
-Nick