: So if defaultSearchField has been removed (deprecated) from schema.xml then
why
: are the still calls to
"org.apache.solr.schema.IndexSchema.getDefaultSearchFieldName()"?

Because even though the syntax is deprecated/discouraged in schema.xml, we
don't want things to break for existing users who have it in their
schema.xml -- hence the method is still called.

If you upgrade from a previous version, your old configs should still work
-- if you start from scratch with the Solr 3.6 example, then you should
follow the lead of hte Solr 3.6 example and specify df/qf as appropriate
for your usecase.  There are certainly improvements that can be made in
how the chain of defaults works (hence SOLR-3534) but I don't see any way
that this change "broke" anything for existing users -- if you can provide
an example of a query + configs that worked in Solr 3.5 but don't work in
Solr 3.6 then please, please, please file a bug with that information so
we can understand what happened.

-Hoss