You could also just keep a "special" document in your index with a known
ID that contains meta-data fields. If this document had no fields in common
with any other document it wouldn't satisfy searches (except the *:* search).

Or you could store this info somewhere else (file, DB, etc).

Or you can commit with "user data", although this isn't exposed
through Solr yet, see:

Best
Erick