Ahhh, you need to look down another few lines. When you specify fq, there
should be a section of the debug output like
<arr name="filter_queries">
  .
  .
  .
</arr>

where the array is the parsed form of the filter queries. I was thinking about
comparing that with the parsed form of the "q" parameter in the non-filter
case to see what insight one could gain from that.

But there's already one difference, when you use *, you get
 <str name="parsedquery">ID:*</str>

Is it possible that you have some documents that do NOT have an ID field?
try *:* rather than just *. I'm guessing that your default search field is ID
and you have some documents without an ID field. Not a good guess if ID
is your <uniqueKey> though......

Try q=*:* -ID:* and see if you get 31 docs.

Also note that if you _have_ specified ID as your <uniqueKey> _but_ you didn't
re-index afterwards (actually, I'd blow away the entire
<solrhome>/data directory
and restart) you may have stale data in there that allowed documents to exist
that do not have uniqueKey fields.....

Best
Erick