/update/json was removed from the example configuration in 4.0 because /update
now handles content based on content-type internally.  It may not be spelled
out as clearly as it should be, but here's the CHANGES entry for it:

* SOLR-2857: Support XML,CSV,JSON, and javabin in a single RequestHandler and
  choose the correct ContentStreamLoader based on Content-Type header.  This
  also deprecates the existing [Xml,JSON,CSV,Binary,Xslt]UpdateRequestHandler.

Yonik added a comment yesterday because of the issue you hit.  So maybe
/update/json will re-emerge in the 4.0 final release example configuration?

Always be careful when comparing blogs/articles written about one version to a
different version you're using.

        Erik