Not sure if this can help. But once I had a similar problem with Solr 3.6.0
where tomcat refused to find one of the classes that existed. I deleted the
tomcat's webapp directory and then it worked fine.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:19 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>wrote:

> First, I'm no Tomcat expert.... here's the Tomcat Solr
> page, but you've probably already seen it:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat
>
> But I'm guessing that you may have old jars around
> somewhere and things are getting confused. I'd
> blow away the whole thing and start over, whenever
> I start copying jars around I always lose track of
> what's where.
>
> Have you successfully had any other Solr operate
> under Tomcat?
>
> Sorry I can't be more help
> Erick
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Claudio Ranieri
> <claudio.rani...@estadao.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I tried to start the solr-4.0.0-BETA with tomcat-6.0.20 but does not
> work.
> > I copied the apache-solr-4.0.0-BETA.war to $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps. Then I
> copied the directory apache-solr-4.0.0-BETA\example\solr to
> C:\home\solr-4.0-beta and adjusted the file
> $TOMCAT_HOME\conf\Catalina\localhost\apache-solr-4.0.0-BETA.xml to point
> the solr/home to C:/home/solr-4.0-beta. With this configuration, when I
> startup tomcat I got:
> >
> > SEVERE: org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Invalid luceneMatchVersion
> 'LUCENE_40', valid values are: [LUCENE_20, LUCENE_21, LUCENE_22, LUCENE_23,
> LUCENE_24, LUCENE_29, LUCENE_30, LUCENE_31, LUCENE_32, LUCENE_33,
> LUCENE_34, LUCENE_35, LUCENE_36, LUCENE_CURRENT ] or a string in format 'VV'
> >
> > So I changed the line in solrconfig.xml:
> >
> > <luceneMatchVersion>LUCENE_40</luceneMatchVersion>

> > <luceneMatchVersion>LUCENE_CURRENT</luceneMatchVersion>
> >
> > So I got a new error:

> solr.NRTCachingDirectoryFactory
> >
> > This class is within the file apache-solr-core-4.0.0-BETA.jar but for
> some reason classloader of the class is not loaded. I then moved all jars
> in $TOMCAT_HOME\webapps\apache-solr-4.0.0-BETA\WEB-INF\lib to
> $TOMCAT_HOME\lib.
> > After this setup, I got a new error:
> >
> > SEVERE: java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.solr.core.NRTCachingDirectoryFactory can not be cast to
> org.apache.solr.core.DirectoryFactory
> >
> > So I changed the line in solrconfig.xml:
> >
> > <directoryFactory name="DirectoryFactory"
> >
> class="${solr.directoryFactory:solr.NRTCachingDirectoryFactory}"/>

> > <directoryFactory name="DirectoryFactory"
> >
> class="${solr.directoryFactory:solr.NIOFSDirectoryFactory}"/>
> >
> > So I got a new error:
> >
> > Caused by: java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.solr.spelling.DirectSolrSpellChecker can not be cast to
> org.apache.solr.spelling.SolrSpellChecker
> >
> > How can I resolve the problem of classloader?
> > How can I resolve the problem of cast of NRTCachingDirectoryFactory and
> DirectSolrSpellChecker?
> > I can not startup the solr 4.0 beta with tomcat.
> > Thanks,

Karthick D S
Master's in Computer Engineering ( Software Track )
Syracuse University
Syracuse - 13210
New York
United States of America