Hi,

If like most people you have application server(s) in front of solr,
the simplest and most secure option is to bind solr to a local address
(192.168.* or 10.0.0.*). The app server talks to solr via the local
(a.k.a blackhole) ip address that no-one from outside can ever access
as it's not routable.

Plus you then don't need to employ authentication which can slow down
for access to 5 solr servers.

Cheers,
Dan