<Environment name="solr/home" type="java.lang.String"
value="/usr/solr/data/conf" override="true" />

The above does not look right - you probably would want
/usr/solr/example/solr for your solrhome based on other info you give.

You also reference /usr/solr/data/conf as your conf folder, but I'd
expect it to be something like /usr/solr/example/solr/collection1/conf

 -DhostPort=8080" #might not be useful?/

The above will only work if you go to example/solr/solr.xml and change
jetty.port to hostPort. Otherwise just use jetty.port and it will set
this (regardless of your container).

Other than that, I can't spot much.

If you don't see the Cloud tab in the Admin UI, Solr does not think
it's in SolrCloud mode for some reason.