You shouldn't try copying files around, your comment that you
" tried replacing QueryElevationComponent.java" leads me to
think you tried that. Instead, I notice that there's a SOLR-2949.3x
patch. If you want to try that, you can apply the patch to the 3.x code
line. See "working with patches" at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute

WARNING: I have no clue whether that patch will apply cleanly, nor
whether it will actually fix distrib QEV. It doesn't look like it was
applied to 3.x. Also, looking at the comments it's not clear that
it _would_ work, see Marks last comment.

What kinds of errors do you get with 4.0? It's true that a bunch
has changed, but I really don't see any other reliable way to
get distributed QEV working other than either using 4.0 or
patching 3.6... and if you do this latter you're kind of on you own.

Best
Erick