I guess you should give JVM more memory.

When starting to find a good value for -Xmx I "oversized" and  set
it to Xmx20G and Xms20G. Then I monitored the system and saw that JVM is
between 5G and 10G (java7 with G1 GC).
Now it is finally set to Xmx11G and Xms11G for my system with 1 core and 38
million docs.
But JVM memory depends pretty much on number of fields in schema.xml
and fieldCache (sortable fields).

Regards
Bernd