It might even depend on the cluster layout! Let's say you have 2 shards (no
replicas) if the doc belongs to the node you send it to so that it does not
get forwarded to another node then the update should work and in case where
the doc gets forwarded to another node the problem occurs. With replicas it
could appear even more strange: the leader might have the doc right and the
replica not.

I only briefly looked at the bits that deal with this so perhaps there's
something more involved.