It depends on if you are running embedded zk or an external zk ensemble.

One leader and a replica is all you need for Solr to allow on machine to go
down - but if those same machines are running zookeeper, you need 3.

You could also run zookeeper on one external machine and then it would be fine
if you lost one solr node - but if you the one external zk node went down you
would lose the ability to do updates until it was brought back up.

- Mark