Jack,

The recommended ensemble configured size takes into consideration that you
might have a node failure. You can still run with two while you replace the
third, so it's sort of like RAID-5.

If you run with four configured nodes, you're still running with
RAID-5-like failure survival characteristics. Two configured can't be
the minimum because the minimum requires an odd number of machines to break
ties, so your minimum is three when you configure for four.

Configuring for five nodes lets you survive two failures because you now
have a minimum of three

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions
18 East 41st Street, 2nd Floor