I actually was not using a solr.xml.  I am only using a single core.  I am
using the default core name collection1.  I know for sure I will not be
using more than a single core so I did not bother with having a solr.xml.
Is that a bad thing?

Everything works when I had tomcat config to run on port 8983.  But once I
configure tomcat to use a different port, I notice that SolrCloud is still
using port 8983 so it wasn't working.  I then tried adding
"-Djetty.port=8000" and "-DhostPort=8000" to the environment variable
JAVA_OPTS before running the tomcat start script bin/startup.sh.  But
SolrCloud was still using 8983.  I ended up setting hostPort in solr.xml
and got things working.

It solr.xml is required, then I can just set the port for SolrCloud in
there.  But I was hoping I did not have to bother with solr.xml at all.
One less configuration file, one less thing that can go wrong.

Bill