But couldn't the IDF problem be fixed by applying the same IDF to all synonyms,
e.g. via DisjunctionMaxQuery?  (Maybe the ideal would be an average, not a max.)

(E)dismax applies this query per-field, but AFAICT there is nothing stopping
anybody (modulo query parser construction :) ) from using it on synonyms in the
same field.

Steve