One quick and not so dirty way to do this is to use the
<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ScriptUpdateProcessor>.  Oops, sorry the wiki is a
bit sparse currently, but the feature is "documented" in the Solr 4.0 release
as collection1/conf/update-script.js in the Solr example.  It'll probably
require a little trial and error to get the script to do what you want just
right, but shouldn't be too bad.  Let us know if you try this and what effect
it has on your indexing performance (that's my biggest concern with this new
feature).

You can also write the same sort of thing as a UpdateProcessor in Java and
plugged into Solr more natively and surely also more performantly (but ideally
only marginally so ultimately).

        Erik