Hello,

we are upgrading solr from 1.3 to 4.0.
In solr 1.3 we used the SOLR-236 patch to realize grouping/ field
collapsing.
We did not have a memory issue with the field collapsing feature in our 1.3
version.
However, we do now. The query looks something like this:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?fl=*,score&group.ngroups=true&group.limit=-1&group.field=someGroupingField&group=true&fq=someField:someValue&fq=anotherField:anotherValue&wt=xml&fq=thirdField:[0+TO+1]&rows=30000

as you can see the q parameter is empty, but it does not make a difference
if I query for q=someValue+anotherValue

The result returns:
<int name="matches">3772</int>
<int name="ngroups">2175</int>

We have a memory consumption of about 4G. What causes this massive memory
consumption? How can it be reduced?

Regards,

Claas