Marcos -

I just happen to be tinkering with VrW over the last few days (to get some big
improvements across the board with it and the /browse UI into Solr 5.0, and
maybe eventually 4.x too), so I whipped up such a test case just now.

Here's the short and sweet version:

  public void testVelocityResponseWriterRegistered() {
    QueryResponseWriter writer = h.getCore().getQueryResponseWriter("velocity");
    assertTrue("VrW registered check", writer instanceof
VelocityResponseWriter);
  }

This required that I put in the test solrconfig.xml <queryResponseWriter
name="velocity" class="solr.VelocityResponseWriter"/> (which was not there
before, as it wasn't needed for the direct VrW test that already was there).

I added another test too, to check a template from the conf/velocity directory
being rendered like this:

  public void testSolrResourceLoaderTemplate() throws Exception {
    assertEquals("0", h.query(req("q","*:*",
"wt","velocity","v.template","test")));
  }

And I added a conf/velocity/test.vm file with just this in it:
$response.response.response.numFound

So there ya go... I'll commit these in hopefully the near future along with the
other related stuff.

I'm curious - what are you using VrW for?

        Erik