I'm currently running Solr 4.0 final on tomcat v7.0.34 with ManifoldCF v1.2
dev running on Jetty.

I have solr multicore set up with 10 cores. (Is this too much?)
I so I also have at least 10 connectors set up in ManifoldCF (1 per core, 10
JVMs per connection)
>From the look of it; Solr couldn't handle all the data that ManifoldCF was
sending it and the connection would abort socket timeout exceptions.
I tried increasing the maxThreads to 200 on tomcat and it didn't work.
In the ManifoldCF throttling section, I decreased the number of JVMs per
connection from 10 down to 1 and not only did the crawl speed up
significantly, the socket exceptions went away (for the most part)
Here's the ticket for this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONNECTORS-608

My question is this: how do I increase the number of connections on the solr
side so I can run multiple ManifoldCF jobs concurrently without aborting or
timeouts?

The ManifoldCF team did mention that there was a committer who had socket
timeout exceptions in a newer version of Solr and he fixed it by increasing
the timeout window. I'm looking for that patch if available.